The One-Stop Shop of Licensing and Permitting in
Martinsville-Henry County, Virginia is a collaborative effort between the Martinsville-Henry County Chamber of Commerce and the Martinsville-Henry County Economic Development Corporation.
Topics included in the One-Stop-Shop may be easily accessed by clicking the links below:
This checklist and the services described are designed to help you understand the process of expanding your small business or starting a new venture in the Martinsville-Henry County, Virginia area.
- If you are expanding your business, this checklist provides information to identify the local agencies involved with licenses/permits for new construction and/or improvements.
- If you are starting a business, this checklist provides information on the necessary steps to obtain a business license or permits to carry out your operations in Martinsville-Henry County.
The licenses and permits you need depend on the type of business you plan to operate. This checklist offers a quick reference to all licenses and permits you may need. Review the following information to help you determine the licenses/permits that are applicable to your business and the documentation you may need to obtain for each.
Before you can obtain a business license, your business location will need to be inspected.
- If your business is located in the City of Martinsville, contact the city's Inspections Office at 276-403-5365 or visit the office in the Municipal Building at 55 West Church Street. More info can be found here.
- If your business is located in Henry County, contact the Building Inspection Office at 276-634-4615 or go to the Henry County Administration Building on Kings Mountain Road. More info can be found here.
Certain home occupations do require a special use permit.
While you are going through this process, special permits may be needed based on your type of business, such as:
- ABC license
- Building permits
- Dance permit
- Environmental determination
- Health Department permit
- Home Occupation permit
- Parking permit
- Sign permit
- Uptown development design approval
- Zoning compliance
Once you have gone through the inspection process, you will be issued a Certificate of Occupancy and will be directed to the Commissioner of Revenue's Office for a business license.
When you apply for your business license, bring your Certificate of Occupancy.
- In the City of Martinsville, go to the Commissioner of Revenue's Office at Room 101 of the Municipal Building on West Church Street. If you have questions, call 276-403-5131.
- In Henry County, go to the Commissioner of Revenue's Office at the Henry County Administration Building on Kings Mountain Road. If you have questions, call 276-634-4690.
You will be asked for:
- Your federal ID number or your social security number.
- Fiscal year or calendar year operation.
- A realistic estimate of your gross receipts for the first year of business. Your license fee will be based on your gross receipts and the rate of your business classification. A minimum license fee for the city is $30. A minimum license fee for the county is also $30. - Note: The license requirement is different for contractors who may have a business office location in Henry County or the City of Martinsville and who may perform work in the other locality.
- A copy of the incorporation papers from the State Corporation Commission. If your business is not incorporated and is using a trade name, you are required with the Commission of Revenue Office to register the trade name with the Clerk of Circuit Court.
- In the City of Martinsville, go to the second floor of the Municipal Building or call 276-403-5106.
- In Henry County, go to Room B on the first floor of the Henry County Courthouse or call 276-634-4880.
- If you have two separate locations in the City of Martinsville or Henry County, you will be required to have two separate licenses. If you have a location in the City of Martinsville and another in Henry County, you will be required to have two separate licenses.
- If you are a retail business, you will need to register with the State Department of Taxation for a sales tax number. To download Form R-1, click here.
- Both Martinsville and Henry County have a Meals Tax. If you will be offering food and beverages, you will need to register with the State Department of Taxation for a sales tax number and with the Commission of Revenue in either the city or county. You also will need to contact the Health Department at 276-638-2311.
- If you expect to have employees, contact the Virginia Employment Commission regarding withholding information. Call 276-634-3600 or visit the VEC office at 233 West Commonwealth Blvd.
- If you are a contractor, you will need to file a Certificate of Insurance for Workers' Compensation with the Commissioner of the Revenue when applying for a business license in each Virginia locality in which you are required to have a license. To download Form 61A, click here.
If you need assistance going through this checklist, please contact the Commissioner of Revenue Office in either the City of Martinsville or Henry County.
- In the City of Martinsville, call 276-403-5131.
- In Henry County, call 276-634-4690.